Search This Blog

Sunday 26 January 2014

Global Warming and the Polar Vortex as explained by Hank Green


Ok so Hank Green is not a scientist. He is however, someone with an abundance of common sense and he has a way of explaining things which means more people can understand them. I like Hank, he's sensible and down to earth and realistic. It's hard to find in a vlogger.

The stuff Hank is talking about is exceptionally relevant to us today, and I have to say I agree with him. I think that the name Global Warming is very deceptive and confuses most people as to what is going on. But I also think that no matter what we call it the majority of people will still not be interested in whatever it is that's actually happening.

The global temperature rising by 4 degrees Celsius overall might not seem like a huge amount. But (to steal an idea from Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behaviour), if your body temperature rose by 4 degrees, you'd be dead. I completely agree with Hank that the weather anomalies are not the way to think about global warming, as they don't give us a realistic view of what's going to happen. His way of thinking about global warming does make a lot of sense and I think it would help a lot of people to actually understand the process of what is happening to the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment